Friday, December 2, 2011

ROOM OF TEARS, THE POPE AND THE ANTICHRIST

So, upon hearing Billie, the medium's recount of what happens in the "Room of Tears" a new Pope is decided on, I decided to do a little research.

Interesting Fact: The process of electing a new Pope is called a "conclave," which is the world's oldest means of electing a leader of an institution. (Source)

The "Room of Tears" does exist, as a small room next to the Sistine Chapel. The Pope enters once he has been officially elected, and puts on a robe and is proclaimed as the new Pope in a speech. Unfortunately, I find no mention of a box anywhere.

Billie's interesting twist, of course, is that once the Pope enters the room, he is given the key to a box that contains a very emphatic small piece of paper that holds the ultimate secret. The secret to the end of the world: The antichrist will be a spirit-human baby, the essence of pure evil. Billie goes on to explain that it would be a perversion of the Immaculate Conception -- if Mary got pregnant through a whisper from an angel, you'd think the devil would "want a litlte more bang for his buck."

Yikes, really?

So, what do we think? Expecting a twist in this in the upcoming episode? I think at this point we all are. My guess is that the evil baby kills the good baby somehow, but I'm wondering how the whole end of the world scenario is going to play out -- I mean we've got a second season scheduled already... haha.

I like how the writers took a lot of pieces of reality and added their own elements to them -- this something accomplished in many of the story lines that I think is executed pretty well.  The Black Dahlia murders for example, as made evident here, were based in a good amount of fact: the condition of the body was accurate, the overall character was based on alot of what was speculated about Elizabeth Short in the media after her death. We also got a fairly logical (be it just wrong.) explanation for her death, plus the AHS-esque element: Dr. Montgomery preparing the body for portability. The whole antichrist thing is based in some truth about the room the Pope enters, and does make a bit of sense when you put yourself into this strange world where ghosts roam and behave like humans, with no obvious signs of their lack of life.

What do you think? Are they getting a bit overboard with the storyline or does it seem like a normal progression giving the circumstances of the show? How is this going to pan out?

Getting back to what Billie actually told Constance about this spirit-baby antichrist, she mentions that the archangel Michael merely whispered in Mary's ear to get her pregnant and this is the devil. This got me thinking: if the archangel Michael did it to Mary, who's the opposite that would impegrante? So I did a bit of googling and reading...

When I first googled I found this site that basically asserts that Lucifer is a fallen archangel, equivalent to the archangel Michael and is NOT satan himself. Does that mean Tate is Lucifer?

"Lucifer was a "great" Archangel, Prince, and the anointed Cherub (7th Dimension - Cherubim). Ever after his fall he still seems to retain some of his power and ancient title. There are many different variations of stories and legends on Lucifer." (source)




Interesting -- this could make sense, if Tate was originally a good soul as a child, but then corrupted by the devil/evil forces (the infatata in the basement or perhaps the house itself?), an archangel's story of being cast out of heaven would be quite a fitting metaphor. Wikipedia also notes that the theory of Lucifer being a different entity from the devil has recently been growing popularity.

I find it interesting that the quote mentions that after his fall he retains some of his power -- what power does he retain? Maybe Tate doesn't 'remember' shooting the DBC because it was at that point that he was taken over by evil and his morals went out the window apparently.




I can't wait to find out what happens in the next episode and where this story goes. Can you? Do you think Tate will turn out to be some sort of devilish being? Will there be a loophole to get out of it being born? Will Viv and the good baby survive the birth?

As a closing note, did you notice the AHS writers manage to add yet another 'american horror story?' A fear of many Americans, the rapture or end of time...

10 comments:

  1. You posted this years ago, but I just wanted to say that I found this by doing a search about the whole Pope story with the key and the box and the paper. I need to understand why the writers chose this story. In 2002, I was having an alarmingly lucid dream in which I was some sort of "head monk". Now, mind you, I have zero understanding of religion. I was raised to ignore religion and try to determine what I believe on my own. I chose to believe in God when I was a young child. But, I chose no religion. I did not "ignorantly" choose to not study religion, but I mindfully chose not to study it until I was secure in all of my beliefs.. and now that I am 34 years old, I wonder if that day will ever come (and believe it or not, I like to believe it will). Anyway, I didn't know what the pope was in 2002. I don't know much about him today. All I know now is that he is the head of the Catholic church? I realize there will be a few evil/mean spirited people who would judge or criticize me for saying such a thing, but I am here on this Earth living my life in an exploratory fashion by my own philosophical practices, and it's still a free country. Anyway, disclaimers aside, I had no idea who I really was in my dream, only that I was very important. Buddhist, Catholic, whatever. Many other men in robes around me walked with me as I paced along a road, worrying over whether or not I would "use the key". This also had something to do with the end of the world. And the decision weighed upon me like the hardest choice I've ever had to make in my entire life. Before I got to completely understand the dream, my roommate barged into my room looking for something she had lost and I was ripped from that dream to never figure it all out. I dream a lot, but not like that. That was one of the most lucid dreams I've ever had. I felt like I was actually there and that the burden I was carrying was so heavy that I've never experienced a burden like that in my entire life. I have never forgotten that dream.

    Anyway, yesterday, my boyfriend and I decided to start watching American Horror Story. I thought it would be just a scary series like a horror movie. I didn't think I would like it. But the story and the writing just latched to me and I found myself zipping through multiple episode. It's only Day 2 and I just finished Episode 9 (in which the mention of the Pope/key/box happens at the end). My boyfriend fell asleep just moments before the scene began. So, as Billie was talking, I just sat up in disbelief. I had to rewind the part over & over again.

    I did the same research as you and couldn't find anything to legitimize the story. I found your blog here and see that you were also curious about it. Probably not for the same reason (because that'd just be insane).

    I grew up in Alabama in front of an extremely large graveyard. Also, I've lost count of all of the people I know who have died (including an uncomfortable number of close friends and two loves). I have learned to accept death and mortality in a way that actually makes this show seem comically entertaining in the best of ways. It's so far removed from real life, and the concept is impressive!

    If this post is weird, please know that it's because it's 2am and I'm on medication for an infection (bashed my face open and got stitches during a photo shoot). lol.

    This has to be the weirdest thing I've ever written/shared online.

    Hoping I can post this anonymously. I guess I just wanted to put it out there - the dream. Share a strange coincidence of sorts and also maybe entertain a few folks who might find this post entertaining.. if anyone besides you ever sees it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow! We share a lot of the same life...ummmm... decisions. I am actuality Googling this very same question as of now rewatching and rewatching AHS! I am also in Bama!

      Delete
    2. Holy cow! We share a lot of the same life...ummmm... decisions. I am actuality Googling this very same question as of now rewatching and rewatching AHS! I am also in Bama!

      Delete
    3. I am doing the same research and obviously found this. I just have to mention that I too had an amazing "end of the world" dream. In mine, Lucifer was in the present and we all knew it was the end. In my case, a song was actually putting people into trance like states, therefore easier to control and possess. At some point, after watching friends trying to not listen to the song got tricked into hearing it, I would watch in horror at their change. Suddenly I'm walking down many streets with Jesus and someone I only knew in my dream. Everytime Lucifer would appear, I'd shake with fear, then remember I was safe with Jesus.. , after a few times, I looked and said, I don't know why I'm so scared , I know you are with me Lord. He replied, " that's your problem, I know you believe in me , but you have No faith. I awoke at the very instant and that dream has stuck with me forever since. I believe It was a message, much like I think you also had a message given to you thru dreams. Just thought I'd include mine. ✌️

      Delete
  2. Maybe it was a glitch in The Matrix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate when I write a long response just for it not to post. Fuck computers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. It was a glitch. I saw two cats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know at the back of the bible it tells you how the world ends

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this was posted years ago. But the Virgin Mary was told by Angel Gabriel not Michael the Archangel loool

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was gonna post the same thing 😇

    ReplyDelete